Sunday, April 8, 2012

My first trail post

         I'm seven days in to my hike and I've traveled 78.4 miles. Georgia is some tough ground to cover, a lot of elevation changes; but as hard as the uphills are, walking downhill for 3 miles is more painful. The weather has been extremely warm, 70-80's, and very sunny. The first two days on the trail I forgot sunscreen and got a little sunburn on my right arm and mostly on the right side of my face and neck; only the right side because the trail always kept the sun on that side of me. Two days ago, April 6th, was foggy and rainy. Until about 4pm I could only see 100ft ahead of me. Having a lot of fun so far meeting a lot of new people. Almost everyday the camps I've stayed in have 20-30 people camped out.
        I've met a great group of people that are so much fun to hang out with. My trail buddies at the moment are Lindy and Pesky Beaver (his trailname) the 3 of us are sharing a motel room for our zero mile day here in Hiawasee,GA . We've been calling ourselves the stray dog pack, mostly because one person. The SherpaMaster and his sons Sherpas 1,2,3 kept giving us their extra food (snickers, trail mix with chocolate, Twinkies and starburst) so they didn't have to carry the weight. So we kept hanging around them for days like a bunch of stray dogs. They were great folks who added a lot to all our conversations out here. They were only on the trail for the boys spring break, so they aren't hiking anymore.
        Another fun thing about the trail is Trail Magic, free food and drink along the trail, and Trail Angels, the people that bring it for hikers. Two particular Angels, Gordo and Moo, camp along the trail for a week every year feeding hikers. Moo drives down from Wisconsin and Gordo is from GA. This event was called the 'feast in the forest' and it was. It was raining and foggy as I walked up to a small camp. What I found was hot dogs and marshmallows to roast over the fire, grilled cheese with tomato sandwiches, hash browns with eggs and cheese, coffee, hot cocoa, fruit, salad, candy, and 2 kegs of PBR. That was just what they put out for breakfast!! They had driven a 10 foot trailer FULL OF FOOD up a US Forest Service road into the woods to just to fuel us hungry hikers. All they wanted in return was for us to sign their trail register and eat as much as we could. These were not the only Trail Angels I have to thank, just the most spectacular.
        I have plenty of pictures and more to say about them, but the motel computer is old and slow so they'll have to wait for next time. Until then everyone have a happy Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment