Friday, April 13, 2012

Musings from Franklin

The stray dog pack went out for Mexican food last night. We had Margaritas. We are now taking a zero day. The rest is needed not just because of the drink but we are still getting use to hiking every day. I've heard countless times that it takes at least three weeks to get used to the trail, it seems to be true. There will be plenty of time to hike high miles and speed up later on, but for now i'm enjoying the characters I meet, the company I keep and the unique experience of living on the trail with great new friends. The hospitality that hikers get when off the trail is amazing. Hitchhiking to town I never wait more than five minutes (don't worry, I never Hitch a ride alone, I'm being safe) and every ride I've gotten so far has been from backpackers and outdoors-men from the area, mostly Scouters. This morning we attended an all you can eat pancake and bacon breakfast for hikers put on by the local Baptist church, they picked us up at the motel, fed us, took pictures and gave us envelopes with note paper to send pictures home (you'll be getting a letter from me with my breakfast picture pretty soon, Mom), and brought us back to the motel; all free of charge. Right now i'm hanging out in a coffee house/pub called Rathskeller, it's a great little hang out with good music playing, a small reading library, foosball, and an amazing Bohemian atmosphere. For  lunch we ate at a little retro-dinner that made me long for home. It had a 50's something skyblue and white   Chevy parking in front and the music was the same oldies stuff Dad would play in the car when I was younger. I had an grilled cheese with american fries. The whole situation pulled me back in time reminding me of the Prospect Dairy Bar, the type of place I know my father would love to take us. I know i'm still getting used to this adventure because my mind tries to find these connections to the familiar  no matter what i'm doing. Not sure who said it but one of my favorite quotes is "Life is nothing, if not change" So far this trip fully embraces that sentiment. Until next time...
-Adam

2 comments:

  1. Hey man lad to see your living it up down there. Sounds like a serious eye opener! Be safe, and keep on keeping on! Jacque out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam,
    We check on you every night, thanks for hitting the spot locator. See you made it to Fontana Dam,and past Cheoah Bald. Hope all is well, the weather has been kind, and your meeting great hikers. I once drove the family from Tenn. past Fontana Dam on 28 and it was making everyone sick because of the countless curves. Beautiful road; like to run it on a two wheeler someday. Great hostle in Nantahala when you get there. Bob

    ReplyDelete