Friday, June 1, 2012

The Zero Vortex

I've been trapped in my first Zero mile Vortex. After spending the night in a motel in Bland,VA (yes, it was) with Bueller and Pesky I acted in a very disciplined manner. First I resupplied my food at the Dollar General. Then I got my beard trimmed at the local barber. I then headed to the public library. After several hours of uploading pictures, blogging and checking email I began heading out for the trail. A fellow hiker informed me that he was getting a ride to a "stay for free". Since it was 4pm I decided to turn my productive town day into a zero mile day.

 The "stay for free" is a martial arts dojo owned by a cool guy name TruBrit, the next town over in Bastion, VA. He lets hikers stay for free in the dojo which has a shower and wide screen projector with surround sound. It's also next door to a pizza place that has an all you can eat lunch buffet. Hiker paradise!!

The next morning I just didn't feel like hiking out. The beauty of my life at the moment is that I don't have to. So I stayed another day. Hanging with hikers, watching movies, and eating more pizza. The group of hikers here at the moment are a lot of fun. I had a weird moment of DejaVu that made me realize they were so much like my fraternity in college. I immediately called my ABE friend Peaches, got the chance to catch up with several old friends that she happend to be with.

This morning I woke up and there was Lightning and Thunderstorms in the area. In addition there was tornado warnings in the area. No one hiked out of the dojo tonight. After three zero mile days i'm am ready to hike. While rested and well fed, I will be hiking tommorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment