Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Here are some of my favorite things.



I was walking through the woods and I came upon the largest tree I have ever seen in my life. The photo is myself dwarfed by a 18 ft circumference oak tree. The tree is called the Keffer Oak and is apparently the largest tree on the southern AT. This trees lower limbs were the size of normal oak trees.


 I picked my first berries of the season on June 8th. Sweet wild lowbush blueberries. They made the perfect trailside snack. I spent about 15 minutes scouring the hillside when I saw the fist ripe one. This handful was my reward. Did I savor the taste of each berry, enjoying the slight nuance of these rare wild fruit? No; because I'm a ravenous thru-hiker, I ate them all at once. Thru-hikers don't waste time enjoying food. We just eat it.
 Spent the night at 4 pines hostel. A 3 car garage with a shower and some couches. The owner Joe runs it for donations and the occasional chance to use his sheers on us "Dirty Longhairs" as he put it.


From left to right: Kabudokon, Tantrum, and Slingblade
While crossing the Blue Ridge Parkway. A woman pulled up and asked is we were thru-hikers. Then offered us a pie. As we hiked into the shelter after dark, this apple pie was the best dinner I've had on the trail :)

No comments:

Post a Comment